This FREE Diabetes Prevention Program runs for a period of 12 months. This 12-month lifestyle modification program offers nutritional guidance, blood glucose screening and support to help prevent or delay diabetes onset. Throughout the program, our licensed dietician-nutritionist will give participants the help and support they need to make and sustain lifestyle changes to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
During the first 6 months of the program, you will meet about once a week. During the second 6 months, you’ll meet once or twice a month. Staying in the program for the full year is essential to help you stick to new habits and avoid slipping back into old habits.
Participants receive tools to help them monitor activity patterns, eating habits and physical activity to assist them in achieving success. Giant uses the PreventT2 curriculum, developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Class Topics include:
- Shop and Cook to Prevent Type 2
- Eat Well Away From Home
- Find Time for Fitness
- Cope with Triggers
- Track Your Food
- When Weight Loss Stalls
- Manage Stress and Get Enough Sleep
Lose 5% or more of your current body weight
Gradually increase your physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week
Prevent or delay type 2 diabetes
Next class starts September 2017! See locations and times below.
- 1400 7TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON,DC - Wednesdays @ 2:00 PM
- 601 EAST 33RD STREET, BALTIMORE, MD - Wednesdays @ 1:30 PM
- 7546 ANNAPOLIS ROAD, LANHAM, MD - Wednesdays @ 7:00 PM
- 1155 ANNAPOLIS RD, ODENTON, MD - Thursdays @ 6:00 PM
- 9200 BALT. NAT. PK., ELLICOTT CITY, MD - Tuesdays @ 12 PM & 6 PM
- 621 EAST GLEBE RD, ALEXANDRIA, VA - Thursdays @ 6:00 PM
- 1454 CHAIN BRIDGE RD, MCLEAN, VA - Tuesdays @ 6:00 PM
- 5701 PLANK ROAD, FREDERICKSBURG, VA - Saturdays @ 9:00 AM