February 18, 2017
GIANT FOOD ALERTS CUSTOMERS TO EXPANDED SARGENTO CHEESE RECALL
Landover, Md. (February 18, 2017) - Following an expanded recall by Sargento Foods Inc., Giant Food, LLC announced it removed from sale certain Sargento cheese products due to the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Sargento Finely Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with code dates of H09MAY17, H08MAY17, H07MAY17 and F05JUL17
- Sargento Artisan Blends Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040094 with code dates of H09JUN17 and H08JUN17
- Sargento Sliced Tomato & Basil Jack, 6.67 oz., UPC 4610000279 with a code date of 03MAR17B
- Sargento Sliced Muenster, 8 oz., UPC 4610000107 with code dates of 05MAR17F, 06MAR17F, 16APR17F, 17APR17F and 15APR17F
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack, 7.5 oz., UPC 4610000122 with a code date of 03MAY17B
Giant has received no reports of illnesses to date. Listeria is a common organism found in nature. Consumption of food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis. However, listeriosis can cause high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea. Listeriosis can alsocause miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those withweakened immunesystems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection orundergoing chemotherapy.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Sargento at 1-800-243-3737. In addition, customers may call Giant Food Customer Service at 888-469-4426 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for more information. Customers can also visit the Giant Food website atwww.giantfood.com
About Giant Food, LLC
Giant Food, LLC, headquartered in Landover, Md., operates 169 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, and employs approximately 20,000 associates. Included within the 169 stores are 160 full-service pharmacies. Giant is owned by Ahold USA, Inc. For more information on Giant visit www.giantfood.com.