March 21, 2015
MEDIA CONTACT: Jamie Miller
GIANT FOOD ALERTS CUSTOMERS TO VOLUNTARY RECALL OF AURORA AND GIANT BRAND WALNUT & TRAIL MIX BLEND PRODUCTS
Landover, MD – Following a recall by Aurora Products, Inc., Giant Food, LLC announced it removed from sale select Aurora and Giant brand walnut and trail mix blend products due to potential Salmonella contamination.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Giant Walnuts, 6.5 oz., UPC 8826713594, with best if used by dates of 10/29/15 - 12/7/15
- Giant Cranberry Health Mix, 21 oz., UPC 8826713692, with best if used by dates of 10/30/15 - 12/13/15
- Giant Cranberry Health Mix, 9.25 oz., UPC 8826714713, with best if used by dates of 10/30/15 - 12/13/15
- Giant Roasted Salt Mixed Nuts, 9 oz., UPC 8826714736, with best if used by dates of 11/4/15 - 12/13/15
- Aurora Forest Bounty Grail Mix, 17.5 oz., UPC 65585200496, with best if used by dates of 10/28/15 - 12/13/15
- Aurora Roasted No Salt Mixed Nuts, 9 oz., UPC 65585200243, with best if used by dates of 11/10/15 - 12/10/15
Giant has received no reports of illnesses to date. Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella infections can be life-threatening, especially to those with weak immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV infection or undergoing chemotherapy. The most common manifestations of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within eight to 72 hours. Additional symptoms may be chills, headache, nausea and vomiting that can last up to seven days.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Aurora Products at 800-898-1048. In addition, customers may call Giant Food Customer Service at 888-469-4426 for more information. Customers can also visit the Giant Food website at www.giantfood.com.
About Giant Food of Landover, Md.
Giant Food LLC, headquartered in Landover, Md., operates 170 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, and employs approximately 20,000 associates. Included within the 170 stores are 156 full-service pharmacies. Giant opened the first supermarket in the nation’s capital on February 6, 1936. Giving back to the community is a cornerstone that was instilled by the founders more than 78 years ago. The company’s core areas of giving include hunger, education, health and wellness, and supporting service members and military families. In 2013, Giant’s monetary and in-kind contributions exceeded $13 million, and the nation’s capital grocer helped partners provide 64.6 million meals. For more information on Giant, visit http://www.giantfood.com/