November 15, 2014
MEDIA CONTACT: Jamie Miller
GIANT FOOD ALERTS CUSTOMERS TO VOLUNTARY RECALL OF CERTAIN ORTEGA TACO PRODUCTS
Landover, Md. (November 15, 2014) – Following a recall by B&G Foods, Inc., Giant Food, LLC announced it removed from sale certain Ortega Taco products after learning that one or more of the spice ingredients may contain peanuts and almonds, allergens that are not listed on the ingredient label. These products are safe to consume for individuals who do not suffer from peanut or almond allergies.
The following products are included in this recall:
- Ortega Taco Mix, 1.25 oz., UPC 3900000820 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2016 - Nov 3, 2016
- Ortega LS Taco Seasoning, 1.25 oz., UPC 4150100824 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2016 - Nov 3, 2016
- Ortega Hardsoft Taco Kit, 21.3 oz., UPC 4150101015 with a best by date range of May 18, 2015 - Feb 10, 2016
- Ortega Taco Dinner Kit, 10 oz., UPC 3900000805 with a best by date range of May 18, 2015 - Feb 10, 2016
- Ortega Medium Taco Sauce, 8 oz., UPC 3900001892 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
- Ortega Mild Taco Sauce, 8 oz., UPC 3900000890 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
- Ortega Green Taco Sauce, 8 oz., UPC 4150100897 with a best by date range of Feb 18, 2017 - Nov 10, 2017
Giant has received no reports of illnesses to date. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts or almonds may run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. Symptoms of food allergies typically appear from within a few minutes to two hours after a person has eaten the food to which he or she is allergic. Allergic reactions can include: hives; flushed skin or rash; tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth; face, tongue, or lip swelling; vomiting and/or diarrhea; abdominal cramps; coughing or wheezing; dizziness and/or lightheadedness; swelling of the throat and vocal cords; difficulty breathing; loss of consciousness.
Customers who have purchased these products should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase receipt to Giant for a full refund.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call B&G Foods at 877-929- 2576. In addition customers may call Giant Food Customer Service at 888-469-4426 for more information. Customers can also visit the Giant Food website at www.giantfood.com.
About Giant Food of Landover, Md.
Giant Food LLC, headquartered in Landover, Md., operates 169 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, and employs approximately 20,000 associates. Included within the 169 stores are 159 full-service pharmacies. Giant is owned by Ahold USA, Inc. For more information on Giant, visit www.giantfood.com.