21st century apple pie
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1 slice each
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 5 Tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sliced apples in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, spices and lemon zest. Toss apples to coat evenly and set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together 2 cups flour and salt. Add oil and water to measuring cup but do not stir. Add liquids to flour. Stir with a fork just until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other.
- Flatten larger dough and place between two 12-inch square sheets of wax paper. Roll dough into a circle to the edges of the paper. Peel off paper and fit dough, paper side up, into 9” pie pan. Reuse wax paper to roll out smaller dough for top crust. Peel off top sheet and make slits or decorative cuts for steam to escape (or slice into strips for lattice).
- Add filling to pie shell, apply top crust with paper side up; peel off paper. Press dough edges together to seal, then crimp or flute. Cover edges with pie crust shield or aluminum foil to prevent burning. Place pie on a baking sheet; bake for 45–60 minutes or until filling bubbles. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack, uncovered. Store pie at room temperature, covered with paper towel, up to 2 days. Crust will become soggy if fruit pie is refrigerated or tightly covered.
Note* About 2 lbs. of fresh apples.
Note Spoon flour into measuring cup, do not pack down.
per serving: 340 calories, 14g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 49g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 21g sugars, 4g protein