apple almond cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Makes 12 servings, 1 slice each
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 large eggs
- 3¼ cups almond meal
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch springform pan with oil, line bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest and cook until mixture begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, mash apple into a rough puree and set aside to cool.
- In a food processor or blender, combine cooled apple puree with eggs, almond meal, sugar and lemon juice and process until smooth puree is formed. Pour into prepared tin, sprinkle the slivered almonds on top and bake for 35–45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Put on a wire rack to cool slightly, then open springform pan and remove cake. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve slightly warm.
*Make sure all ingredients are listed as Kosher for Passover
Per serving: 380 calories, 21g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 125mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 35g sugars, 12g protein