baked tilapia tacos with avocado cream
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 2 tacos each
- 1lb. tilapia fillets
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1½ cups southwestern style fresh salsa
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8 x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix lime peel and juice, canola oil, garlic, pepper sauce, pepper and salt together in a small bowl.
- Place tilapia in prepared dish, in a single layer, turning under thin edges.
- Evenly spread sauce over each fillet.
- Bake, uncovered, about 10–14 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- While fish is baking, combine avocado and sour cream in a blender and blend until smooth.
- When fish has finished baking, pull fish apart until all fillets are shredded.
- To assemble tacos: Place a layer of fish, salsa and lettuce into a taco shell. Drizzle with avocado cream.
per serving: 390 calories, 21g fat, 6g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 3g sugars, 23g protein