basic french macaron
prep time: 45 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
makes: 25 servings, 1 macaron each
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Hazelnut spread
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Pulse powdered sugar and almond flour in a food processor until combined. Sift mixture, discarding almond chunks.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk egg whites until foamy. Slowly add granulated sugar and vanilla. Increase speed to high, and whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold dry flour mixture into egg whites. Continue to mix until batter is smooth but still thick.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain round tip, and pipe 3/4-inch rounds 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Pipe circles with the bag at a 90° angle, slowly dragging the tip up. Gently tap the bottom of each cookie sheet a few times to release trapped air. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time, each for about 15–20 minutes. Let macarons cool completely on sheets. Then transfer to a wire rack. Sandwich 1–2 teaspoons hazelnut spread between 2 macarons. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
Tip: *To make almond flour: using a food processor, pulse sliced almonds until finely ground to a flour-like consistency.
per serving: 110 calories, 4.5g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 14g sugars, 2g protein