beef and mushroom teriyaki
prep time: 25 minutes cook time: 15 minutes ready in: 40 minutes makes: 4 servings, 10 oz. each
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless beef sirloin steak or beef top round steak, 3/4-inch thick, cut into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon lite soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Prepare rice according to package directions for 2 cups cooked rice.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add beef and cook until it's well browned, stirring often. Pour off any fat.
- Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes or until carrots are tender, but still slightly crisp.
- Stir the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic powder in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth and add to meat and vegetables. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens. Serve the beef mixture over the rice.