- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until soft. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat and brown meat, then add onions and tomato paste and mix well. Blend in the flour and cook mixing constantly, until the flour browns a little, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add 4 cups of stock, bay leaves, paprika, Tabasco®, salt, and pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and continue to simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the red peppers. Add them to the beef mixture.
- Continue to cook, stirring often for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender, add additional stock if needed. Remove bay leaves.
per serving: 344 calories, 18g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 57mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 18g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 30g protein