beef round roast with root vegetables
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 50 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 11 oz. each
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (4 lb.) eye round roast, well-trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium baking potatoes, quartered
- 3 large sweet potatoes, halved, quartered
- 4 small onions, halved
Per Serving: 370 calories, 10g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 95mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 5g sugars, 40g protein
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine rosemary, garlic, salt mustard and pepper in a small bowl; press half the mixture evenly into surface of beef roast.
- Combine remaining seasoning with oil in large bowl. Add vegetables and toss to coat.
- Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting plan. Insert meat thermometer in thickest part. Place vegetables on rack around roast.
- Roast until meat thermometer reaches 135°F for medium rare and 150°F for medium, approximately 1 ½ hours, being careful not to overcook.
- Once meat reaches desired doneness, transfer roast from rack to cutting board. Cover roast with foil, and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve roast into slices; serve with vegetables.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.