beef stuffed onions
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 1 hour
ready in: 1 hour 20 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 4 ounces each
- 4 large onions, peeled
- 1/2 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 lemons for juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Cut onions in half crosswise, scoop out centers to make shells. Chop the removed onion. Combine 3 tablespoons chopped onion with beef, allspice, dill, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and egg.
- Fill onion shells with meat mixture, mounding over the top. Dust tops with flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry filled onions in the oil, meat side down, just until brown and remove.
- In the skillet, arrange remaining chopped onion in a layer. Add juice of one lemon and enough water to cover. Place filled onions, meat side up, over onion layer. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until filled onions are soft, adding water if needed to chopped onion layer to create steam.
per serving: 130 calories, 7g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 9g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 8g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.