beefy-quinoa stuffed peppers
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 45 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1 pepper each
- 4 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut off tops of bell peppers; remove seeds and membranes. Bring a large pot of water to boiling. Add bell peppers; cook 5 minutes, turning occasionally to cook evenly. Remove and drain upside down on paper towels.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until beef is browned. Stir in tomato sauce, quinoa and oregano; cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Arrange peppers in an 8x8-inch baking dish. Stuff bell peppers evenly with beef–quinoa mixture. Add 1/4 cup water to the baking dish. Bake 10–15 minutes or until bell peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Serve warm.
per serving: 330 calories, 12g fat, 4g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 10g sugars, 27g protein