blueberry walnut coffee cake
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 12 servings 2 x 3" each
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen and thawed
- Preheat oven to 350&;F. Spray an 8 inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, ground cinnamon and walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter and applesauce until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating until fully combined. Beat in vanilla and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture, in two batches, to wet mixture stirring until just combined.
- Spread half the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the sugar/nut mixture over the batter and top with the blueberries. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle remaining nut mixture over the cake.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool slightly then unmold onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Suggestion: Top with a spoonful of fat-free whipped cream.
per serving: 200 calories, 6g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 6g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.