boston potato soup
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour
makes: 12 servings, 1 cup each
- 4 oz. cooked and chopped Nature's Promise bacon
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 lb. Russet potatoes, baked and removed from the shell
- 2 cups low sodium Nature's Promise chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% fat milk
- 1 cup non-alcoholic beer (regular beer is always an option)
- 1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crispy; chop and set aside. Wipe out the fat from the pan.
- Add the canola oil and the chopped onion and cook until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper if desired and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the baked potato, broth, milk and beer; stir gently until combined. Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are heated through.
- Prior to serving, add the cheddar cheese and sour cream; stir gently until combined.
- Top with additional cheddar cheese, sour cream, reserved bacon, and chives if desired.
- Serve with a side salad to complete the meal.
per serving: 200 calories, 7g fat, 3g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 11g protein