cajun sausage & rice
prep time: 5 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 box (8 oz.) red beans and rice mix
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 fully cooked spicy beef or pork sausages, sliced
- sliced scallions
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Bring 3 ½ cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice mix, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add peppers; saute for 5 minutes or until lightly charred in a few places. Add sausage; saute for 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place mixture on rice (don't stir), cover and simmer for 10 minutes until rice is tender. Stir to mix; sprinkle with scallions as garnish.
per serving: 460 calories, 25g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1630mg sodium, 47g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 17g protein