chicken and spinach pasta
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 50 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 10 ounces each
- 4 oz. gluten-free pasta, uncooked
- 5 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 can whole tomatoes (20 oz.), undrained, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Place spinach on paper towel and squeeze until barely moist.
- Add oil to a large non-stick skillet and place over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add chicken and cook until it loses its pink color, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Combine pasta, spinach and chicken in a bowl. Stir well. Spoon into 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- *If preparing for a gluten-free diet, make sure all ingredients are labeled gluten-free
per serving: 240 calories, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 19g protein