chicken and wild rice soup
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 25 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1 cup each
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 cups Nature's Promise® low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half or light cream
- ground black pepper
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth and wild rice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken. Simmer uncovered for 20–25 minutes more or until rice is tender.
- In a bowl, combine flour and remaining butter to make a smooth paste. Stir flour mixture into the rice mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add half and half. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Season to taste with pepper.
per serving: 250 calories, 13g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 18g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 17g protein