prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 4 pieces each
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 6 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring milk, water, salt, butter and 2 teaspoons sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the flour all at once, mixing well so that no lumps form.
- Return to heat and cook an additional 2 minutes until pulling away from the sides. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and allow the dough to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, add eggs, one at a time, beating well in between until well incorporated.
- Allow dough to rest while the oil heats in a large pot over medium heat. There should be about 2 inches of oil in the pot, if you pot is larger, add more oil. Temperature needs to stay between 360°F–375°F for frying.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, form dough into small balls and drop into hot oil. Allow the churros to cook in oil, 5 at time, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Use a wire mesh strainer, remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon and roll churro bites in mixture while they are still warm.
per serving: 400 calories, 35g fat, 7g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 8g sugars, 4g protein