creamy pork stew
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 20 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 2 cups each
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat until it is hot, and add the pork in batches, searing on all sides and then transferring to a large bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, onion, carrots and celery, cooking until translucent.
- Add the flour to the pot and stir until a roux begins to form with the vegetables.
- Gradually add the chicken broth to the roux and whisk to combine. Add the bay leaves to pot and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the pork is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the cream until the mixture is combined well, simmering the sauce until it is thickened.
- Season with parsley, salt & pepper and serve.
per serving: 587 calories, 21g total fat, 124mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, 34g protein