decadent chocolate torte
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes Makes 8 servings, 1 slice each
- 1/2 cup pareve margarine
- 8 oz. kosher semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- Confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries, for garnish
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with foil. Grease foil with margarine or spray.
- Melt margarine and chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth and let cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, about 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat together yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 1 minute. Blend in chocolate mixture and stir in almonds.
- Fold beaten whites into chocolate mixture, 1/3 at a time, until no streaks of white remain. Scrape into prepared pan.
- Place an 8-inch baking pan filled with 1 inch of water on the bottom rack of the oven (to make the torte more moist). Place springform pan on center rack and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from pan and top is set in center.
- Cover the torte loosely with foil for the last 20 minutes of baking. Note: don't worry if the cake cracks because the top will be on the bottom later.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then carefully remove sides of pan. Invert onto a serving plate and cool completely.
- Sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top of torte. Serve with sliced strawberries.
*Make sure all ingredients are listed Kosher for Passover
Per Serving: 440 calories, 28g fat, 9g saturated fat, 130mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 40mg carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 8g protein