earthy orzo and swiss chard soup
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 45 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1½ cup each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz. baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 can cannellini beans (15.5 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch (1/2 lb) fresh Swiss chard, chopped
- 8 cups Nature’s Promise reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion, carrot and garlic until onions are translucent, about 4–5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 2. Add remaining oil to saucepan and add mushrooms, black pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes). Add broth and sautéed vegetables and bring to a boil.
- 3. Stir in orzo and cook for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat, until orzo has softened. Add beans and chard; cover and cook about 3 minutes until chard is wilted and beans are warm.
- 4. Ladle into serving bowls, top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
per serving: 250 calories, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 4g sugars, 14g protein