easy cherry jam
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 10 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 32 servings, 1 Tablespoon each
- 2 half-pint jam jars with 2-part lids
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 lb. fresh dark sweet cherries
- 1/2 lemon for juice and peel
- 1 oz. (3 Tablespoons) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Wash jars, lids and screw tops in hot, soapy water. Rinse in hot water, drain and allow to air dry on a clean towel. Measure sugar and set aside.
- Remove stems from cherries, slice in half to remove pits and chop into 1/2-inch pieces. You should have about 2 cups. Squeeze juice from lemon half and cut yellow part of peel in a continuous strip about 1/2 x 6 inches.
- Combine chopped cherries, lemon juice, lemon peel and pectin in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a full boil over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stir to dissolve and boil for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Remove lemon peel and add almond extract. Ladle jam into jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of rim. Seal with lids and screw tops. Allow to cool 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate and use within 3 weeks. Makes 2 half-pints.
Tip: No double-dipping allowed! To avoid crumbs and spoilage, never serve jam directly from the jar. Use a clean spoon to dish out just enough jam onto a plate or serving dish.
Per serving: 35 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 9g sugars, 0g protein