easy shrimp paella
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 45 minutes
ready in: 55 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (5 oz.) pkg. yellow rice mix
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Hot pepper sauce (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Season shrimp with pepper to taste; add to skillet. Cook 2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink; transfer to a platter.
- Add carrots, onion and garlic to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and 1 2/3 cups water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in peas and cooked shrimp, cover and cook 5 minutes or just until heated through. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Gently stir mixture until well-combined. If desired, season with hot sauce, and serve.
Per serving: 315 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 935mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 8g sugars, 16g protein