fettuccine with shrimp and peppers
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 12 oz. each
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small red bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 small yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 lb fettuccine
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ lb medium shrimp, shelled, deveined, butterflied
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- freshly ground pepper
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a saute pan or skillet large enough to hold all the pasta after it has been cooked, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pan and cook for 2 more minutes to soften the peppers. Meanwhile, plunge the pasta into a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Add the garlic and shrimp to the saute pan. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes, or until the shrimp just begin to turn pink (the shrimp should be barely done). Add the red pepper flakes and basil. Keep warm.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain it well and add it to the saute pan with the peppers and shrimp. Cook and stir for 1 minute to heat through and incorporate the flavors.
per serving: 530 calories, 19g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 270mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 52g carbohydrates, 4g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 39g protein