fresh fruit trifle
prep time: 30 minutes
makes: 14 servings, 3/4 cup each
- 2 medium oranges including peels
- 16 oz. nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup strawberry preserves
- 4 kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed
- 12 oz. prepared angel food cake
- Grate orange rind and mix 1 tablespoon with yogurt. Peel and section oranges and reserve.
- In a small bowl, mix orange juice and strawberry preserves together; reserve.
- Saving 1 large strawberry for garnish, hull and slice remaining strawberries.
- Cut cake into one-inch cubes. Place half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a 2–3 quart glass bowl. Top with 1/3 of strawberry preserve mixture.
- Place a circle of kiwi slices around lower edge of bowl. Add ½ of orange sections and ½ cup of strawberries. Top with ½ of the yogurt mixture. Repeat layering of cake and strawberry preserves.
- Place a circle of strawberries around edge of bowl and add remaining fruit. Top with remaining yogurt. Garnish with whole strawberry. Cover and chill at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
per serving: 180 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 43g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 1g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.