fresh spinach chicken salad recipe
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 30 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 7 oz. each
- 2 Tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoon. fresh oregano
- 2 Tablespoona olive oil, plus 1/2 teaspoon.
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 cups spinach leaves, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced, fresh button mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Per Serving: 220 calories, 9g fat, 1g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 29g protein
- To make vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice and garlic in a small mixing bowl.
- Continue whisking and slowly add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To cook chicken, preheat grill to medium-high or preheat broiler. Brush the chicken breasts with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil the chicken on both sides until it is cooked through, about 4 – 6 minutes per side, until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- To assemble salad, slice the chicken breasts into strips and place them in a mixing bowl with the mushrooms, onion, tomatoes and half of the vinaigrette.
- Place the spinach in a separate salad bowl and toss it with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Arrange the chicken and vegetables on top. Serve with a slice of toasted bread if desired.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.