ginger poached pears
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 50 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1 pear each
- 3 cups diet ginger ale
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest or coarsely grated lemon peel
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ginger, shredded
- 4 large pears
- 4 lemon slices, ultra-thin (for garnish)
- 4 large mint leaves
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- Combine ginger ale, honey, lemon zest and ginger in a deep sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, peel 3/4 of each whole pear (don’t remove the stem). Place pears into ginger ale mixture, lower heat, cover and simmer until almost tender (about 15–20 minutes). Turn pears to ensure even cooking.
- Once pears are cooked, remove from ginger ale mixture. Continue heating mixture until reduced to 3/4 cup. Once heated, strain syrup over pears.
- Allow pears to cool. Place each pear in a shallow soup bowl and wrap each stems with a slice of lemon. Tuck a mint leaf into each lemon slice and sprinkle with nutmeg. Drizzle with sour cream if desired.
per serving: 160 calories, 1.5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 38g carbohydrates, 7g dietary fiber, 25g sugar, 1g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.