prep time: 30 min
cook time: 40 min
ready in: 1 hr 10 min
yields: 36, 2 cookie servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- raisins or currants for decorating
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and applesauce until smooth. Add egg and molasses and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and spices. Add to butter/sugar mixture, stirring well.
- Divide dough in two; cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using one portion at a time, flatten dough, dust both sides with flour, place between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness*.
- Cut out shapes and place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Decorate with raisins or currants.
- Bake 10-12 min until set and lightly browned. If desired, decorate with frosting when cool.
Tip: *For uniform thickness, place 1/4 inch thick strips of wood on each side of dough to guide depth of rolling pin.
per serving: 80 calories, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 16g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 1g protein