green bean soup with ham
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 1 cup each
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Nature’s Promise low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced potatoes (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 lb cut green beans, frozen or fresh
- 4 oz (1 cup) lean ham, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup seasoned croutons, for garnish
Per serving: 140 calories, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 9g protein
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in flour and cook for an additional minute. Add about 1 cup of broth and stir to mix in flour.
- Add remaining broth, potatoes and green beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Puree soup until smooth (or leave some chunks), return to saucepan and add ham, pepper and nutmeg.
- Simmer over low heat until heated through. Garnish each portion with croutons before serving.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.