greens with beets and oranges
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 40 minutes
ready in: 1 hour
makes: 6 servings, 2 cups each
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons Giant balsamic vinegar
- pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of ground Giant cinnamon
- freshly ground Giant black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Giant olive oil
- 6 small fresh beets
- 2 oranges
- orange zest
- 6 cups lettuce greens
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- Combine the orange juice, vinegar, cumin, cinnamon and pepper. Whisk in the oil until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut off the tops of the beets, leaving 1 inch of the stem, and wash them. Place the beets in a medium pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, until the beets are very tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the beets and let cool. When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip them out of their skins and cut into quarters. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, carefully removing all of the bitter white pith and membranes. Carefully cut the orange sections away from the membranes.
- With a vegetable peeler, remove some of the zest from the orange peels and cut it into thin strips. Blanche the zest in boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
- Arrange lettuce greens on individual plates. Top with cooked and quartered beets, orange sections and toasted walnuts.
- Pour on the dressing (whisk again before using) and garnish with orange zest strips. Serve immediately.
per serving: 140 calories, 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 17g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 4g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.