grilled chicken and grapefruit salad
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 14 minutes
ready in: 29 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 6 oz. each
- 1/2 cup frozen grapefruit juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 whole ripe banana, mashed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 whole green pepper cut into slivers
- 2 whole grapefruit peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat broiler. In a medium bowl, combine grapefruit juice concentrate, banana, oil, vinegar, scallions, dill, garlic, sugar, and pepper. Stir to combine. Place chicken in a shallow, nonmetallic bowl. Divide marinade mixture, and pour half over the chicken. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning breasts once.
- Place chicken on grill or broiler, 4 inches from the heat. Cook 5–7 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove to a plate and cool for 5 minutes.
- Divide and arrange salad greens, tomatoes, pepper, and grapefruit rounds on 4 plates. Slice chicken diagonally, and place 1 chicken half on each plate. Drizzle any accumulated juices and remaining dressing over the chicken and salad greens. Garnish with additional dill and scallions, if desired.
per serving: 320 calories, 7g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 32g sugars, 27g protein