grilled red pepper and shrimp gazpacho
prep time: 30 minutes + refrigeration time
cook time: 16 minutes
ready in: 1 hour, 45 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 1½ oz. each
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 red onion, thickly sliced
- 1/2 lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- 2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Grill tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion and shrimp, turning a few times, until the vegetables soften and the skins are blistered, and the shrimp is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the pepper to a plastic bag and let it steam until cool enough to handle. Peel off most of the charred skin; cut the pepper in half and discard the stem and seeds.
- Chop tomatoes and onion when cooled.
- Reserve half of one pepper, place remaining peppers, onion and tomatoes, V-8, vinegar, parsley, basil salt, pepper, paprika and olive oil in a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled, about an hour.
- While gazpacho is chilling, chop cooked shrimp and reserved pepper and mix with chopped avocado and cucumber.
- Garnish each serving of soup with shrimp mixture.
per serving: 200 calories, 8g fat, 1g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 12g sugars, 14g protein