grilled salmon with spicy cucumber salad
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 10 oz. each
- 3/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1½ pound salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1½ Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped peanuts
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large zip-top plastic combine teriyaki sauce and orange juice. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade. Refrigerate for 15–30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Add cucumbers, bell pepper and onion. Toss to coat vegetables with dressing and set aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate. Remove salmon from marinade, shake off excess and discard remaining marinade.
- Grill for 12–15 minutes, turning once, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve fish with salad and sprinkle with peanuts.
- Note: Fish can also be broiled for 12–15 minutes without turning.
- Serving Suggestion: Steamed white rice with toasted sesame seeds
per serving: 470 calories, 28g fat, 6g saturated fat, 95mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 13g sugars, 37g protein