- Slice potatoes and place in water to prevent browning. Drain and pat dry when ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, nutmeg and egg. Stir until combined. In a small bowl, combine ham and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk and flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sauce begins to thicken. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8x11 inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon half of the ricotta mixture over potato layer and spread evenly. Top with half of the ham and sprinkle with half of the scallions. Pour half of the sauce over all. Repeat with another layer of ingredients, ending with sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375°F, then uncover and bake at 350°F for an additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 10 to 15 minutes to set. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Suggestion: Serve with green beans or asparagus.
Serve this casserole for Easter brunch or make it for dinner the next day to use up the holiday ham. Goes well with a side of steamed asparagus or broccoli. Don’t forget pineapple for dessert.
Per serving: 250 calories, 9g fat, 5g saturated fat, 80mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 8g sugars, 21g protein