prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 50 minutes
ready in: 60 minutes
makes: 8 servings, 6 oz. each
- 4 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons water
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Combine the cream, vanilla, and cinnamon stick in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, without scorching. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, honey, and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Slowly whisk into the warm cream mixture. Mix well and strain.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and water in a skillet over medium-high heat, without stirring, until the sugar begins to caramelize and turn amber in color. When fully melted, pour about 2 tablespoons into each of 8, 8-ounce custard cups.
- Put custard cups in a pan half filled with warm water and fill the cups with the cream mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until set. Remove and cool.
- To serve the flans, run a knife around the edge to loosen the custard and turn upside down. Garnish with fresh berries.
per serving: 380 calories, 17g fat, 10g saturated fat, 180mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 34g sugars, 8g protein