italian festival bake
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour
makes: 6 servings, 12 ounces each
- 1 lb Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 can (28 oz.) chunky crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 lb dried pasta such as rotini or penne
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Cook pasta as package directs. Preheat oven to 350°F
- Squeeze sausage out of the casings into a large skillet. Over medium-high heat, cook sausage and onion. Break up sausage into medium chunks. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain pan drippings.
- Stir in wine and crushed pepper. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and herbs. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir together the sausage/tomato mixture and drained pasta.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Pour mixture into the dish and sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the top. Sprinkle Parmesan on top of mozzarella. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, removing foil for last 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Serve with tossed garden salad and Italian bread.
per serving: 480 calories, 25g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 1170mg sodium, 39g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 25g protein