luscious lemon squares
prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 45 minutes ready in: 1 hour 5 minutes makes: 16 servings, 1 2-inch square each
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup Neufchatel cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat inside of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix cake flour and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Cut cream cheese into the flour mixture with pastry blender or fingertips until crumbly. Gradually add oil stirring with a fork. Toss until evenly moistened but crumbly. Press into bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add to the egg white mixture and beat until blended. Beat in lemon juice.
- Pour over the hot crust and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the top is light golden and set.
- Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.