matzo apple kugel
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 50 minutes
ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
makes: 6 squares, 4 x 4 inches each
- 4 boards of matzo
- 3 large apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons melted pareve margarine
- 6 eggs, well beaten
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 12-inch baking dish.
- Soak Matzo until soft.
- Press out as much water as possible. Place matzo in mixing bowl and add raisins, cinnamon, salt, sugar and melted margarine. Mix well.
- Add beaten eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Pour half of mixture into prepared pan. Layer half the apple slices on top of mixture. Pour remaining mixture over apple layer. Top with remaining apple slices and sprinkle with additional cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until apples are tender.
per serving: 300 calories, 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 160mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 49g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 7g protein