meatless barley vegetable stew
prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 60 minutes ready in: 1 hour 20 minutes makes: 6 servings, 2 cups each
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium yellow squash, washed and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup barley (uncooked)
- 16 oz. bag frozen sliced carrots
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes (regular or Italian flavor)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and yellow squash in oil over moderate heat for 5 – 7 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add barley and sauté the mixture, stirring to coat the barley with the oil, for 3 minutes. Add the carrots.
- Stir in tomatoes (including liquid), water and seasonings. Bring the liquid to the boiling point, and transfer the mixture to a 2-quart casserole or 13x9" baking dish.
- Add 1 cup cheese, stir until mixture is well-combined and bake the stew, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.