mixed spice cake
prep time: 25 minutes cook time: 40 minutes ready in: 1 hour 5 minutes makes 12 servings, 3.5 oz. each
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ¼ cups fat-free buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, soak raisins in orange juice for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, poppy seed, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and cayenne. Stir in raisin mixture, buttermilk, egg whites, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake 35–40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely, then dust with powdered sugar.
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.