moroccan chicken soup
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 ¼ cups chopped onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika*
- 4 cups Nature’s Promise low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup dry couscous
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) Nature’s Promise chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Put oil in a deep, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cut chicken into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes. Add to skillet and stir. Cook until browned. Add onion, cumin, ginger and paprika to the skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock to skillet and stir with a wide wooden spoon, scraping any bits from the bottom. Cover and bring to a boil.
- When soup comes to a boil, add the zucchini , couscous and chickpeas to skillet; stir and cover. Let soup return to a boil, then lower the heat slightly and allow to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add cilantro or parsley and season with pepper to taste. Cook for 1 minute, and serve in soup bowls.
- *If you don’t have Hot Paprika, use 3/4 teaspoon Sweet Paprika and 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
per serving: 280 calories, 7g fat, 1g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 2g sugars, 23g protein