mushroom veggie burgers
prep time: 15 minutes + refrigeration time
cook time: 12 minutes
ready in: 1 hour
makes: 4 servings, 11 oz. each
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. small portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1.4 oz.) pkg. vegetable soup/dip mix
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls, toasted
- Toppings (optional): Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 5–8 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in 1/4 cup water and vegetable mix. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Place beans in food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped; transfer to bowl. Add oats and egg; mix well. Form mixture into 4 patties about 1/2-inch thick. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat. Add patties to skillet; cook 3–4 minutes per side or until browned. Place in rolls, add toppings (if desired), and serve.
per serving: 520 calories, 18g fat, 3g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate, 14g fiber, 9g sugars, 20g protein