mussels in beer and garlic
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 6 minutes
ready in: 16 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 4 oz. each
- 2 lbs. mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle light beer, or 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat grill to medium (300°F–350°F). Divide mussels among 4 large sheets of heavy-duty foil. Pull the ends of the foil up; fold and crimp sides so edges are raised to enclose juices; leave an opening at the top for steam. Set foil pouches aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together beer, hot sauce, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes; pour evenly over mussels in foil pouches.
- Place foil pouches on grill. Grill, covered, 5 –6 minutes or until mussels begin to open and turn opaque. Transfer mussels and juices to a serving platter. (Discard any mussels that do not open.) Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
Per serving: 220 calories, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 920mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 27g protein