prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 5 minutes
ready in: 15 minutes
makes: 1 serving, 1 sandwich each
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 or 4 slices of tomato
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil or 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (1 oz.)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat Panini maker (or preheat 2 skillets, 1 medium and 1 small). Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Lay the slices, oiled side down, on a clean work surface.
- On one of the slices, arrange tomatoes, sprinkle with vinegar and black pepper, add basil, then mozzarella. Top with second bread slice, oiled side up.
- Place sandwich on preheated Panini maker (or place sandwich on medium skillet and top with smaller skillet) and lightly press down. Cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 3–5 minutes.
- Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board and slice in half. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: 330 calories, 10g fat, 4g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 17g protein