prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
ready in: 1 hour
makes: 12 servings, 1 slice each
- 4 whole pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine pears, raisins and walnuts, mixing well. Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss gently until mixed then set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough*, lay out one sheet of phyllo, with the long side horizontal to you, on the parchment paper and brush lightly with butter. Layer another 5 sheets of phyllo dough on top, brushing each before you lay the next one down.
- Spoon half of the pear mixture down the middle of the dough leaving a 1 inch border on each end. Fold over the short ends of the dough onto the apples. Then fold the front long edge of the phyllo over the pear mixture and roll up tightly (like a burrito).
- Repeat layering steps for second roll. Place strudels on a lightly greased baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter and bake for 30 minutes, or until flakey. Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Tip: *Place a wet paper towel on top of the phyllo dough sheets until ready to use, this prevents them from drying out.
per serving: 160 calories, 6g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 25g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein