prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 15 minutes ready in: 35 minutes makes 8 servings, 1/2 cup each
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits in juice
- 3/4 cup reserved pineapple juice from can
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place 8 ramekins (4–5 oz. each) in a baking pan.
- Drain pineapple tidbits, pouring juice into a small saucepan. Add cornstarch to juice and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently (or microwave mixture in a glass measuring cup). Stir in pineapple tidbits and vanilla and rum extracts. Spoon mixture into ramekins.
- To make topping, combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/4 cup coconut in a medium bowl. In a measuring cup, combine buttermilk, oil and egg. Pour liquids into dry ingredients and fold together just until a stiff batter forms.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoons over the fruit filling. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 cup coconut. Bake for 15 minutes or until topping is browned and filling is bubbly.