pork chops with rice
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
ready in: 40 minutes
makes: 4, 10 ounce servings
- 2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb pork chops, (boneless or bone-in) trimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions (including green tops)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (with juices)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Mix 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper together. Pat chops dry with clean paper towels and coat chops with seasonings.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chops on both sides just until brown, about 1 min per side. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions. Cook and stir 1-2 min or just until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, remaining herbs and water. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Place chops atop rice. Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer 18-20 min until pork reaches an internal temperature of 145°F and rice is tender.
per serving: 260 calories, 6g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 31g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 22g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.