roasted tomato bisque
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 1 hour
ready in: 1 hour and 10 minutes
makes: 6 servings, 1/2 cup each
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) whole peeled tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 Tablespoons fat-free half and half
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly coat a casserole dish with oil or cooking spray.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and place in prepared dish. Roast for 45 minutes, add water and stir to dissolve browned bits, and continue roasting for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion until lightly browned. Transfer sautéed onion and roasted tomatoes to blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture into saucepan, stir in Worcestershire sauce, basil, and pepper and heat through.
- For each serving, swirl in 1 tablespoon of half and half. Makes about 3 cups.
per serving: 45 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g sugars, 2g protein