sausage & peppers stuffed baguette
prep time: 30 minutes
cook time: 5 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 12 oz. each
- 1 French baguette Loaf (8-12 oz.)
- 4 fresh sausage links (10-12 oz.)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded & sliced into strips
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- 4 slices (thin) Provolone cheese, cut in 1/2 moons
- Fresh baby spinach or arugula (optional)
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.
- Preheat broiler. Cut baguette in half lengthwise, pull out soft center of top half.
- Grill or cook sausages in a skillet until cooked through & internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Heat oil in skillet, add onions & peppers, season with salt & pepper if desired. Cook until beginning to caramelize, 5-8 minutes.
- Spread bottom half of baguette with heated marinara. Place sausages over sauce, then peppers & onions, & top with cheese. Place bottom half of sandwich under broiler & melt cheese.
- Remove from oven, add fresh baby spinach or arugula if desired & place top half of baguette over bottom, gently push down. Slice & serve hot.
per serving: 610 calories, 26g fat, 10g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 1430mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 8g sugars, 30g protein